Shima Log Miyakojima: Japan's Hidden Paradise Awaits!
Okay, hold onto your hats, because my review of Shima Log Miyakojima: Japan's Hidden Paradise Awaits! is gonna be LESS polished travel brochure and MORE… well, me trying to make sense of it all. Buckle up, buttercups.
Shima Log Miyakojima: Japan’s Hidden Paradise? Let’s Dive In, Shall We? (With a Few Hiccups Along the Way…)
Alright, so Miyakojima. Even the name sounds like a promise of tranquility. I’m picturing myself already, right? White sand, turquoise water… and maybe, just maybe, a decent cup of coffee. Shima Log, specifically, is promising a hidden paradise. Okay, I'm in. But let's be honest, "hidden" often translates to "slightly harder to get to." (And sometimes, "slightly more expensive," but we'll get to that.)
Accessibility (and My Own Personal Battle with Gravity):
Okay, first things first. Getting to Miyakojima isn't exactly a hop, skip, and a jump. You’re likely looking at a flight to the main island, followed by a local flight (maybe), and then… hopefully, Shima Log provides that all-important airport transfer. Airport transfer: YES! Thank goodness. After a long flight, the last thing I want is to wrestle with public transport. (Especially because I'm pretty sure my suitcase is secretly plotting to kill me.) Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Car power charging station: Boom! Score one for convenience. Definitely a plus if you're planning on exploring the island, which… well, you should. It’s stunning.
Wheelchair accessible and Facilities for disabled guests: Crucial. I can't speak to the full extent of these, but it is great to see these listed.
Internet & Tech Stuff (Because We're All Glued to Our Screens, Aren't We?):
Alright, gotta get this out of the way fast: Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Internet access – wireless. Thank. The. Gods. I need that connection, especially when I'm away - to check in with my people, and you know, furiously Google "best ramen near me" at 3 AM. Internet, Internet [LAN], Internet services, Wi-Fi in public areas, All good. Gotta have options. Laptop workspace: check. Fax/Xerox in business center: sure, if you still use those… I, for one, am happy to never see a fax again.
Rooms, Rooms, Glorious Rooms… and Small Annoyances:
Okay, let's break down the in-room details because, honestly, this is where a hotel lives or dies for me. Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker, Complimentary tea, Desk, Extra long bed, Free bottled water, Hair dryer, High floor, In-room safe box, Interconnecting room(s) available, Internet access – LAN, Internet access – wireless, Ironing facilities, Laptop workspace, Linens, Mini bar, Mirror, Non-smoking, On-demand movies, Private bathroom, Reading light, Refrigerator, Safety/security feature, Satellite/cable channels, Scale, Seating area, Separate shower/bathtub, Shower, Slippers, Smoke detector, Socket near the bed, Sofa, Soundproofing, Telephone, Toiletries, Towels, Umbrella, Visual alarm, Wake-up service, Wi-Fi [free], Window that opens. Whew. Okay, that’s a LOT.
- Love: Blackout curtains? YES! I sleep like a vampire on vacation. Slippers? Genius! And separate shower/bathtub? Luxury.
- Meh: Scale? Okay, maybe I don't need to know how much more I weigh after that amazing buffet. Desk? Always useful.
- Minor Gripe Incoming: Where, oh where, is the USB charging port?! In this day and age, it should be a crime NOT to have a USB port by the bed. Small detail, but a daily irritation. Also, is it just me, or are hotel toiletries always just… okay? They should step up their game!
A Room with a View (and Maybe, Just Maybe, Some Serenity):
Okay, full disclosure: when I arrived, I’d been a bit stressed. You know how it is. The flight was delayed, my luggage was clearly plotting my demise in baggage claim, and I was starting to question my life choices. But… I opened the curtains and BAM. The view! (See, I told you, it's messy). I was on a high floor, so it felt like I was floating above all that. Now, maybe it was the sheer beauty of Miyako's landscape, or maybe it was the promise of a cocktail, but I suddenly felt… calm.
Let's Talk "Things to Do" - Getting to the Good Stuff:
This is where Shima Log really seems to shine. Swimming pool [outdoor], Pool with view - absolutely essential. I'm a pool person. The more pools, the better, and if they're infinity pools with jaw-dropping ocean vistas, consider me sold.
Ways to Relax (Because We All Need It):
Here’s the juicy stuff. Massage, Sauna, Spa, Spa/sauna, Steamroom, Foot bath, Body scrub, Body wrap. Oh, yes. I am especially keen on the spa. That's my go-to for all things relaxation, and I have standards. I'm hoping the massage is legit. No flimsy pressure, please. I want the real deal, the kind that makes you sigh so hard your troubles melt away.
Fitness Center, Gym/fitness: I’m going to be honest. I should hit the gym, but when I'm on vacation? I'm more likely to be found horizontal near a pool. Still, good to have the option, right?
On-site accessible restaurants / lounges and Restaurants (more to come): Crucial. You want to be able to enjoy a good meal conveniently. More info about that later…
Cleanliness & Safety (Because, Well, You Know…):
Okay, let's get real. Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Professional-grade sanitizing services, Rooms sanitized between stays, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, Staff trained in safety protocol, Sterilizing equipment – all of that is essential these days. It's reassuring to see that Shima Log is taking this seriously. The fact they offer Room sanitization opt-out available is great, some people value that. Fire extinguisher, Smoke alarms, CCTV in common areas, CCTV outside property, Safety/security feature, Security [24-hour] Those are always good to have in place, no surprises here.
Dining, Drinking, and Snacking (My Sacred Ground):
Restaurants, Bar, Coffee shop, Poolside bar, Room service [24-hour], Ok, this is where things get potentially tricky, because honestly, I judge a hotel hard on its food. A la carte in restaurant, Asian breakfast, Asian cuisine in restaurant, Bottle of water, Breakfast [buffet], Breakfast service, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee/tea in restaurant, Desserts in restaurant, Happy hour, International cuisine in restaurant, Salad in restaurant, Snack bar, Soup in restaurant, Vegetarian restaurant, Western breakfast, Western cuisine in restaurant, Alternative meal arrangement - this sounds like variety, which is a plus.
- The Buffet! I gotta admit, I love a good breakfast buffet. A great buffet. Ideally, one with freshly squeezed juice, amazing pastries, and maybe even a little bit of sushi (hey, it's Japan!). Fingers crossed, Shima Log delivers.
- Room Service: 24-hour? Yes, please! Because sometimes, you just want a burger and to binge-watch bad TV in the middle of the night.
- Good Coffee Let's pray for a decent coffee machine. I am not one of those people to judge a hotel with my first cup of coffee. Essential condiments, Bottle of water.
Services and Conveniences (The Little Things That Make a Difference):
Air conditioning in public area, Concierge, Contactless check-in/out, Convenience store, Currency exchange, Daily housekeeping, Doorman, Dry cleaning, Elevator, Facilities for disabled guests, Food delivery, Gift/souvenir shop, Ironing service, Laundry service, Luggage storage, Safety deposit boxes, Terrace, Car park [free of charge], Car park [on-site], Cash withdrawal, Airport transfer, Taxi service, Valet parking: A lot of amenities, which is fantastic. These touches make a hotel feel luxurious, or at least, make life a little easier. Luggage storage? Essential. Car park? Awesome.
For the Kids (My Kids, Not Yours):
Babysitting service, Family/child friendly, Kids facilities, Kids meal: Ok, I don’t have kids but I always appreciate that they're catered for, because happy kids equals happy parents (and
Orlando's BEST Disney Getaway: Pool, Spa, & UNLIMITED Fun!Shima Log Miyakojima: My Messy Island Romp (Because Let's Be Real, Perfection is Boring)
Day 1: Arrival & That Whole Jet Lag Thing (Ugh)
- Morning (Like, REALLY Early): Land at Miyako Airport. Okay, the turquoise water from the plane window did take my breath away. So did the humidity. Instantly regretted my decision to wear jeans. Already feeling that salty, sticky, sun-kissed vibe they promised.
- Breakfast (7:30 AM): Checked into the hotel and stumbled straight to the breakfast buffet. The little rice balls? Adorable! The miso soup? Decent. The instant coffee? Needed a shot of something stronger. Jet lag is a beast. Couldn't even remember my own name for a solid hour.
- Mid-Morning (9:00 AM): Rented a teeny, tiny…okay, it was practically a golf cart…car. Attempted to navigate. Got lost immediately. Turns out, Google Maps doesn’t quite understand the nuances of Okinawan backroads. Ended up on a dirt path, convinced I was about to become a meme. Finally, found the road to Sunayama Beach.
- Anecdote: This beach…WOW. The archway? Instagram gold. The sand? Pure powdered sugar. Spent a good hour just staring. Then promptly got sunburnt because, well, I forgot sunscreen. Idiot.
- Lunch (12:00 PM): Found a tiny, unassuming shokudo (local eatery). Ordered something I thought was noodles. Turns out, it was noodles swimming in a sea of pork fat. Delicious? Absolutely. Healthy? Debatable. Covered myself in the greasy goodness.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM): Failed miserably at snorkeling at Irabu Island. Seriously, the visibility was incredible, but I kept swallowing seawater, panicking about the coral, and basically ruining it all on myself. It was a hot mess, but the fish were pretty.
- Evening (6:00 PM): Hotel Shower. The water was like a warm hug and washed all the saltwater, the grease, and the self-loathing away.
- Dinner (7:30 PM): Ordered a ton of soki soba (pork rib noodles) at a restaurant recommended by the hotel owner. Couldn't even finish half. So full. So happy.
- Night (9:00 PM): Passed out, fully clothed, on the bed. Jet lag: 1, Me: 0.
Day 2: The Reef, Reality, and Regret
- Morning (8:00 AM): Woke up to more sunshine. Thank god. Breakfast was more manageable today. Made sure to slather on sunscreen like my life depended on it.
- Morning (9:00 AM): Drove to Yonaha Maehama Beach. Voted one of the best beaches in the world, apparently. It did not disappoint. The water was so clear you could see the sand shifting. I spent a couple of hours just wading in the water, lost in bliss, no snorkeling.
- Midday (12:00 PM): Back to the same shokudo and ordered the exact same thing as the day before. What?! It's delicious.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM): Visited Ikema Island. The bridge connecting to it is stunning. Tried to be philosophical and contemplate the meaning of life while driving. Found myself thinking about how much I missed my cat back home. (Stupid, I know.)
- The Realization: On Ikema Island, I found a little beach, and there, amidst the waves and the quiet, I realized something. I came here because I thought everything would be perfect, that my small issues would be washed away. But…they weren't. And suddenly, that's okay.
- Late Afternoon (4:00 PM): Attempted (and failed, again) to buy some gifts. The shops are closed! Who knew?
- Evening (6:00 PM): The water and the water. So much water.
- Dinner (7:00 PM): Found a tiny restaurant recommended by the hotel.
- Night (9:00 PM): Sat on the balcony of the hotel, looking at the moon over the ocean, feeling utterly, wonderfully alone, and at peace.
Day 3: Diving Deep (Into My Feelings)
- Morning (7:00 AM): Woke up early, determined to conquer my fear of deep water. Booked a scuba diving trip at Shigira Beach.
- Morning (9:00 AM): Gear up. Instructions. Breathe.
- Diving, the Sequel: Dropped underwater. The first few minutes were terrifying. My heart was hammering. But then… silence. And colors. And life. The fish swam around me, oblivious. Giant coral formations like underwater castles. It was utterly, breathtakingly beautiful.
- Anecdote: I had to call the instructor, multiple times. I forgot to check my air tank. Felt like I was going to drown. But then, suddenly, I remembered to breathe.
- Lunch (12:00 PM): After diving, the only thing I wanted was a massive plate of food. The dive instructors took us all to a local restaurant.
- Afternoon (2:00 PM): Back at the hotel, spent hours. I laid on the sunbed and just let the sun soak into my skin. It felt amazing.
- Evening (6:00 PM): Celebrated my diving triumph with a fancy dinner at a restaurant overlooking the ocean.
- Night (8:00 PM): Packing. Realized I'd bought far too little sunscreen. Vowed to buy more. And come back to Miyakojima.
Day 4: Departure & The Aftermath
- Morning (6:00 AM): Final breakfast. Bittersweet.
- Morning (7:00 AM): One last drive around, trying to burn images of beauty into my memory. Checked out of the hotel.
- Morning (8:00 AM): Tried to buy more souvenirs. Still failed. Turns out, shops really do open at 10 am, or at noon, or…
- Lunch (11:00 AM): One last meal. The memory of all the food.
- Afternoon (12:00 PM): Flight back home.
- Post-Trip Thoughts: Still reeling from the trip. The tan is a bit uneven, and I think I still taste salt. But damn, Miyakojima. You got to me. You showed me the beauty, the mess, and most of all, that sometimes, the best memories are made when things don’t go perfectly. Now, to order more sunscreen… and maybe learn to snorkel.
Shima Log Miyakojima: Japan's Hidden Paradise Awaits! (Or Does It?) - A Messy FAQ
Okay, so... Miyakojima. Is it REALLY all that? Like, sunshine, perfect beaches, Instagram heaven, or what?
Ugh, the hype, right? Honestly? It's mostly true. The beaches? Spectacular. Like, the kind that make you gasp and then immediately drop your phone taking a picture (happened to me, multiple times. See: *Sunscreen stains, forever*). The water is unbelievably clear – you can see your toes, even when you're chest-deep. But…it's not perfect.
I mean, sometimes the wind REALLY whips up. Like, sand-in-your-eyes, trying-to-hold-onto-your-hat-while-also-trying-to-look-cool-for-the-gram kind of wind. And the sunsets? Yeah, breathtaking *most* nights. But one night, it was just…kinda beige? Disappointing, if I'm honest. My expectations were sky-high, fueled by Pinterest boards and the desperation for a vacation that *actually* felt like a vacation. So, mostly amazing. But temper your expectations a *tiny* bit.
Tell me about the snorkeling. Is it worth the hype? I'm a beginner; will I drown?
Okay, snorkeling in Miyakojima is pretty much *the* reason to go. Seriously, if you're even mildly interested in fish, coral, or the feeling of weightlessness, GO. I'm a complete beginner. Like, panicked-gasping-for-air-*before*-I-even-get-in-the-water beginner.
But! I survived! And it was AMAZING. The guides are super patient (bless their hearts). I saw a sea turtle! A freaking sea turtle! It was eating something, totally unbothered by my flailing and excited pointing. I almost kicked a piece of coral in my excitement; felt terrible afterwards, though. So, yes, it's worth the hype. Just…practice your breathing beforehand. And maybe bring a slightly more dignified swim costume than I did. Learned that the hard way (those rash guards with the butt-flaps are VERY unflattering, just saying) .
What about the food? Is it all just…fish? I'm not a huge fish person.
Okay, listen. Before I went, I was like, "Oh great, I'm going to starve." I am NOT a fish person. Like, the smell of the ocean makes me slightly queasy. But! They have other stuff. And, surprisingly, the fish is actually pretty good.
They have amazing Okinawa-style soba noodles, which I basically inhaled every day. There's local beef (wagyu, if you're feeling fancy, and I was, at least once). And… I did, eventually, try some local fish. The *shimaji* (trevally), lightly grilled, was actually… delicious. Who knew? There's also amazing pineapple. Seriously, take the pineapple. Just…try lots of things. You might surprise yourself. And if all else fails, there’s a 7-Eleven (bless you, 7-Eleven). Gotta love those onigiri!
What's the best time to visit Miyakojima? I don't want to be swamped with tourists.
Okay, here's the deal. There's no *perfect* time to avoid everyone. You're going to encounter other tourists. Just get over it. (Says me, who hates crowds).
Shoulder seasons (May-June or September-October) are probably your best bet. The weather is still lovely, and the most intense crowds have dispersed. But, it's also typhoon season, so pack accordingly – rain gear, a good book, and a healthy dose of flexibility. I went in October. It rained two days, was gloriously sunny the rest, and I ended up sunburnt. Go figure.
Transportation? Do I need to rent a car? Is public transport any good?
Rent a car. Just do it. Public transport is…limited. Let’s put it that way. Busses exist, but they’re infrequent and don't really get you to the best spots. The island is bigger than you think. You WILL get stuck. You WILL be frustrated.
I tried the bus *once*. It took an hour to go two miles. Never again. Plus, having a car gives you freedom. Freedom to explore. Freedom to pull over and take a million photos of the ridiculously turquoise water. Freedom to blast your terrible karaoke playlist (you know you have one). So, yes. Rent the car. Just... remember to fill up the gas tank before you head out on a long drive! Nearly ran out on the way to Yonaha Maehama beach. A very stressful experience, let me tell you...
Any must-see sights, beyond the obvious beaches? I'm trying to be cultured, you know.
Okay, okay, Mr. Culture Vulture. Besides the beaches (which ARE, let's be honest, the main event), there are a few things.
* Irabu Bridge: Stunning. Seriously. Drive across it. Take pictures. It's long, it's blue, it's Instagrammable. * Higashi-Hennazaki Lighthouse: Worth a visit, especially at sunset. Dramatic. Just…watch out for the wind. It's a wind tunnel up there. * Ueno German Cultural Village: A bit bizarre, honestly. But the views are nice, and there's a museum. Go if you're bored, which, let's face it, you probably will be at some point. * Tafuku-dake Observatory: Climb up. Look out. Pretty nice view. * **Dripping Cave:** If you have a car and are up for finding a hidden gem, this is your place. It's difficult to get to but it is worth it. * Toshimi-ga-oka Park: If you are into hiking or panoramic vistas, this is for you. * **Bakaraki:** Yes, a famous spot, but it's worth it, especially at sunset. Get there early though for the best spots.
What about the mosquitos? Are they as bad as everyone says?
YES. They are. Bring ALL the mosquito repellent you own. Seriously. I'm not even exaggerating.Stay Finder Blogs