Old Waverley Hotel: Edinburgh's Hidden Gem? (You Won't Believe This!)
Old Waverley Hotel: Edinburgh's Hidden Gem? (You Won't Believe This!) – A Truthful, Rambling Review
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I just got back from the Old Waverley Hotel in Edinburgh, and let me tell you, it was…an experience. Forget those pristine, sanitized reviews, you're getting the real deal. I'm talking chaotic charm, unexpected delights, and the occasional minor hiccup – just like life, right? So grab a cuppa (preferably from your own room, more on that later…), because we're diving deep.
First Impressions & Accessibility (or Lack Thereof, Depending on How You Spin It!)
Okay, so the Old Waverley isn't exactly winning any awards for modern accessibility. Let's be upfront about that. While there are facilities for disabled guests, and the elevator mostly works (I saw it get stuck once, but the staff handled it with good humour), it’s not a super-smooth roll-in, roll-out kind of place. If you need serious accessibility, double-check with the hotel directly about specific room set-ups. But if, like me, you’re more about the vibe than the perfectly level floor, read on!
Getting Connected: The Wi-Fi Saga & Internet Options
Right, listen. The Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! is a godsend, a true modern miracle. The Internet itself was… generally fine. I mean, I got my work done, streamed some terrible reality TV, and managed to upload about a million photos of Edinburgh Castle. There WAS an Internet [LAN] option too, if you’re old-school like that. In the Wi-Fi in public areas, things could get a little… congested. Let's just say trying to Facetime Mom from the lobby during peak hours was like fighting a badger for a biscuit. But hey, free Wi-Fi is free Wi-Fi, right? And frankly, a little struggle keeps you from mindlessly scrolling, eh?
Cleanliness and Safety – The Sanitization Station
Listen, this is where the Old Waverley shines. They're taking this seriously. The Anti-viral cleaning products were clearly in use, there were Hand sanitizer stations everywhere, and the staff were diligent about the Daily disinfection in common areas. Plus, they had all the COVID protocols covered – Physical distancing of at least 1 meter, Safe dining setup, and Staff trained in safety protocol. They also had cool stuff like Room sanitization opt-out available which is a nice touch. They had a whole arsenal of Sterilizing equipment, which, let's be honest, did make me feel a bit like I was in a sci-fi film. It's comforting though, knowing they’re being proactive.
Dining, Drinking & Snacking – Breakfast Buffet Bliss & Beyond!
Okay, the Restaurants at the Old Waverley… well, it was a mixed bag. The Breakfast [buffet]? Glorious. Truly. A proper Western breakfast, with the usual suspects: eggs, bacon, sausage, the whole shebang. They also had an Asian breakfast option, if you're so inclined. There was plenty of Coffee/tea in restaurant to keep you going. They even had Bottle of water available, a nice touch. Now, the Dinner situation? I tried it once. Let's just say the A la carte in restaurant menu… it was fine. Nothing mind-blowing. I did, however, enjoy the Happy hour at the Bar. They had a decent selection of local brews. The Poolside bar was perfect for a G&T in between sightseeing. They also had a Snack bar, which was handy for a quick bite. But the real game-changer? Room service [24-hour]. Perfect for those late-night cravings.
Things to Do & Ways to Relax (Or Try To!)
So, Edinburgh is a vibrant city, no question. But when you're at the Old Waverley, the ways to relax are a touch…limited. There's no Pool with view, no Sauna, no fancy Spa. There IS a Fitness center, which looked like it hadn't been updated since the early 90s. But hey, at least it was there, right? I'm sure my grandma would love the Gym/fitness. I was personally more interested in the Breakfast [buffet]. I can’t lie, the lack of a luxury spa was a bit disappointing. I'd have killed for a Massage after all those cobblestone streets.
Services and Conveniences – The Unexpected Gems!
This is where the Old Waverley really surprised me. Forget the bells and whistles of a super-slick hotel, this place has a certain… "charm." The Concierge was genuinely helpful, even when I was asking about the weirdest local shops. They had a Currency exchange, which was convenient. The Daily housekeeping was spot-on. The Elevator… well, we already covered that. They had a Gift/souvenir shop, which stocked the usual tat. The real winner? The Food delivery options. Seriously, I ordered pizza twice. No regrets. They’d also had a Business facilities with Meetings option, should you be into that sort of thing.
For the Kids: Family-Friendly or Family-Tolerant?
While there are Kids facilities available, and they're Family/child friendly, this isn't a Disneyland-level experience. There is a Babysitting service available, which is a bonus.
Rooms, Rooms, Rooms – The Cozy Confines!
My room was a classic. A proper, old-school hotel room. It had Air conditioning, which was a lifesaver given the unexpected heat wave. A comfy Bed. A Coffee/tea maker (thank the heavens!). The Desk was a good size for working. And the best thing? The Window that opens! Fresh air, baby! The Blackout curtains were a godsend for sleeping in after a long day's sightseeing. I had a Seating area, a decent Shower, and a surprisingly powerful Hair dryer. Yes, I had a Mirror and a bunch of Toiletries - the Bathrobes were super fluffy. The Free bottled water was a appreciated gesture. The complimentary tea was a godsend. It wasn't perfect; it was a little dated, but it was home. It had Internet access – wireless. I'm a big fan of Safety/security feature in every room, thank God they had one!
Getting Around – The Car Park and Public Transport
The Car park [free of charge] was a big plus for me. Made things super easy. They also have Taxi service.
My "Holy Crap" Moment: The Breakfast Buffet
Seriously. This deserves its own paragraph. After a long day of exploring Edinburgh, and stumbling back into the hotel, I knew it was time for food. Then, I wandered down to the Breakfast [buffet]. And there it was: a glorious spread of everything. From a full English to an array of toast, pastries, fruit salads, juices, cereals, the works. It was the best thing I have ever experienced. It was a full-on "Hallelujah!" moment, and I even went back for seconds. It was pure unadulterated breakfast bliss after a long day of exploring.
The Quirks & The Imperfections – Embrace the Chaos!
Okay, let's be real. The Old Waverley isn't perfect. The decor's a bit…dated. The elevator sometimes gets stuck. I found a tiny bit of mold in the shower. (Shhhh! Don't tell anyone.) And that Wi-Fi… well, you get the picture. But here's the thing: those imperfections are part of its charm. It’s not a cookie-cutter hotel; it's got character. It's like staying in your slightly eccentric aunt’s house – you know there's gonna be some quirks, but you love her anyway.
In Conclusion: Is the Old Waverley a "Hidden Gem"? Absolutely.
If you're looking for a slick, soulless hotel experience, go elsewhere. But if you want a place with character, good value, a fantastic breakfast, and a location that puts you right in the heart of Edinburgh, the Old Waverley is your place. It’s not perfect, but that's what makes it special. It’s the kind of place that leaves you with stories to tell. And isn’t that what travel’s all about?
SEO-Optimized Offer (Because, Well, You Know):
Edinburgh Calling? Discover the Old Waverley Hotel: Edinburgh's Hidden Gem for Budget Travelers! (You Won't Believe This!)
Looking for a unique Edinburgh experience? Escape the ordinary and discover the Old Waverley Hotel! Located in the heart of the city, this historic hotel offers:
- Prime Location: Explore Edinburgh's best attractions within walking distance.
- Free Wi-Fi: Stay connected with **Wi-Fi [free]
Alright, buckle up, buttercups, 'cause this ain't your grandma's itinerary. This is a raw, unfiltered, Edinburgh-in-October experience, starring yours truly (and possibly a wee dram of whisky or two). We're staying at the Old Waverley – supposedly a grand old dame. Fingers crossed she’s more charming than crumbling, eh?
Day 1: Arrival & Errands of the Unexpected
10:00 AM (ish): Arrive at Edinburgh Airport. Okay, first impression: it's… an airport. But, thankfully, the baggage claim wasn't a total free-for-all. Survived! The taxi ride to Old Waverley was a delightful tour, with our cabbie, a wee guy with a voice like crumbling biscuits, offering priceless commentary. "Aye, that's the castle. Been there a while, that has." Priceless.
11:00 AM - 1:00 PM: Check-in. Ah, the hotel. Exterior: promising. Interior: slightly dated. The lobby smells faintly of old books and… maybe a hint of something vaguely floral? The check-in itself was a bit of a palaver. Turns out my booking had a tiny hiccup. Took what felt like an eternity of polite British tutting to sort out. Finally, keys obtained! Got a room overlooking… a rather depressing alleyway. Let's be optimistic, eh? At least it’s quiet, I guess.
1:00 PM - 2:00 PM: Lunch at a pub called "Sandy Bell's" - recommended by a friend. It’s got the pub atmosphere I was craving! The food was hearty, but my shepherd's pie was… a bit of a soggy mess. But the whiskey selection… now that’s a different story! Tried a smoky Highland single malt and felt my chest warm up… both from the whiskey and the general cozy vibe.
2:00 PM - 5:00 PM: Errands! Needed to find a decent map (the one on my phone is a lying cheat!) and possibly a warmer scarf, 'cause this Scottish air is… brisk. Wandered into a couple of shops. Got thoroughly lost in the labyrinth of the Royal Mile… and stumbled upon a shop selling… haggis crisps. Haggis chips? Okay, I couldn't resist. Curiosity wins. They were surprisingly… delicious. I’d buy them again. I also picked up some shortbread, obviously. Tourist cliché fully embraced.
5:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Back to the hotel for a much-needed sit-down and a cuppa. Seriously, all this walking is exhausting! Also, the aforementioned alleyway is actually… not so bad. The building across the way has these adorable little wrought-iron balconies. Maybe this room ain’t so bad after all. Maybe.
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Dinner at a restaurant called "Oink" after all the walking. It’s basically a giant hog roast… and oh, my god. The pork was melt-in-your-mouth perfection, the crackling… heavenly. But it made me realize I was wearing way too many layers - way too hot.
9:00 PM (ish) onward: Stumble back to the hotel, feeling pleasantly full and slightly tipsy. Decide to write in my journal (which I promptly forget about), and promptly fall asleep. Jet lap, exhaustion, the whiskey… A perfect combination.
Day 2: Castle Ghosts & Literary Ramblings
9:00 AM: Wake up. Realize the alleyway is even more charming in the morning light. Bonus points for the occasional squawking seagull (who I now officially consider my alarm clock).
9:30 AM - 10:30 AM: Breakfast at the hotel. The buffet is… passable. The scrambled eggs are suspiciously yellow. But the coffee is strong! Small victories.
10:30 AM - 1:30 PM: Edinburgh Castle. So… the castle. It’s majestic, awe-inspiring… and crowded. Seriously, there were so many people! It was a bit overwhelming. But the views are incredible, and the history is fascinating, even if I forgot half of what the tour guide was saying. I, apparently, am not good at remembering ancient battles. I can't remember what I had for lunch yesterday, let alone battles. But hey, the Crown Jewels were sparkly, and that's always a win. The cannons, though? Truly, that was something.
1:30 PM - 2:30 PM: Lunch! Found a little café tucked away on a side street. The soup was hot, the sandwich was simple, the service was slower than molasses… but it was a nice change of pace from the castle madness.
2:30 PM - 4:30 PM: Literary Tour. Edinburgh is drenched in literary history, so obviously I went on a guided tour. The guide was a woman with a voice like a raven and a passion for Robert Louis Stevenson that was borderline obsessive. We walked along the cobbled streets, discussing all the literary spots. I loved it, because I am a sucker for this! The graveyard, the hidden closes, the tales of dark deeds and genius… Edinburgh is truly a city that whispers stories. And the fact that I loved it is a bit of a shock. I was ready to dislike it, given how cheesy it could have been. But it wasn’t. It was pure magic.
4:30 PM - 6:00 PM: A quiet wander through the shops in the Royal Mile and a stop in an antique shop. I'm not sure what I was expecting to find… but I ended up buying a dusty, leather-bound book with a title I can't quite decipher. I think it's in Latin. I have a feeling my luggage is going to be stuffed with books and shortbread by the end of this trip.
6:00 PM - 7:00 PM: Rest and a quick freshen-up at the Old Waverley. Contemplating the meaning of life. Also, where to find a good whisky bar. (This is a serious matter.)
7:00 PM - 9:00 PM: Found a whisky bar - "Salt Horse". I'm still learning my malts, but the bar keep was super helpful. He steered me towards a lovely, peaty number. This is the Scotland I’ve been dreaming of! The conversations, the atmosphere… This is why I came.
9:00 PM (ish) onward: Back to Old Waverley. More journal writing (or at least, attempted journal writing). Feeling incredibly happy. Soaking in the magic of Edinburgh. And already dreading the day I have to leave.
Day 3 & Beyond (The Unwritten Chapters)
We’ll see what unfolds, eh? I plan to explore, get hopelessly lost, drink more whisky, discover more hidden gems, and probably come back with a suitcase full of souvenirs I'll never actually use. And who knows, maybe I'll even get a little bit better at remembering battle history! Or not. I'm pretty sure I’ll be fine with that too!
Disclaimer: This itinerary is subject to drastic changes based on whims, the weather, and the availability of good whisky. Proceed with caution (and a sense of humor). And definitely pack an umbrella.
(P.S. – If anyone knows how to remove old book smells from a hotel room with an old room… Let me know!)
London Luxury: 3-Bedroom Apartment - Your Dream Home Awaits!