Southholm Lake Tekapo: New Zealand's Hidden Gem You NEED to See!
Southholm Lake Tekapo: Seriously, You NEED to See It (And Here's Why, Rambling Included)
Okay, listen up. I’m about to tell you about a place that’s been living rent-free in my head ever since I left: Southholm Lake Tekapo. Forget pristine brochures and overly-polished travel blogs. This is the real deal, warts and all, my experience sprinkled generously on top. Prepare for a ride.
First off, and this is crucial for a lot of you (and me!), let's talk Accessibility. Now, I'm not going to pretend to know every single angle – I'm not a mobility expert – but from what I saw, Southholm is aiming for "pretty darn good." They have facilities for disabled guests, and the elevator is your friend. Getting around the property felt manageable, though I'd always recommend reaching out beforehand to confirm specifics tailored for your needs. They are trying. Which is a massive win in my book.
Now, let's get to the good stuff: the sheer jaw-dropping beauty. Lake Tekapo itself is a masterpiece, but Southholm nestles right in there, letting you bask in its glory. Think: Pool with a view. Yes, you read that right. Imagine yourself, post-hike, sipping something bubbly (more on that later). Pure bliss.
The Room: My Personal Sanctuary (Almost)
My room? Okay, so maybe it wasn't perfect. Let’s be honest, no hotel room is truly perfect. But it WAS damn good. The view from my window that opens? Spectacular. The kind that makes you forget you haven't brushed your teeth in the morning. I appreciated the little things, like the slippers, the bathrobes, and the fact that they actually have a bathtub. I’m a sucker for a good soak. The blackout curtains were a godsend for those pesky early sunrises, and the air conditioning was a lifesaver. They even had a safety deposit box for my passport; I am not a good keeper of important documents, so that was pretty handy.
And the Wi-Fi? Thank god for Free Wi-Fi in all rooms! Because, honestly, if I can't Instagram the crap out of a stunning view, what's the point? (Okay, maybe a little dramatic, but you get the picture). Plus, no fighting over the signal! Internet Access - Wireless and Internet Access - LAN means you are covered.
Food, Glorious Food! (And the Occasional Glitch)
Okay, let's talk food. I am a notorious foodie, and Southholm delivers – mostly. The Asian breakfast was a delight. Seriously, those dumplings? Forget about it. The Breakfast [buffet], a classic. Honestly one of the best, offering plenty of options including Vegetarian restaurant and International cuisine in restaurant, and a Coffee/tea in restaurant were a highlight. Though, I will admit, I had a slight hiccup. I asked for a specific type of tea multiple times and never received it. Imperfection, people! Real life! Still, the overall experience was positive. A la carte in restaurant, Buffet in restaurant, Coffee shop and, bonus points, the Poolside bar – because why not enjoy a cocktail while soaking in that view? The Snack bar was a convenient lifeline. Room service [24-hour]? You betcha. They've thought of everything.
Relaxation: Spa Day (or Attempted Spa Day)
Right, the Spa. I'm a massive spa enthusiast. I went full throttle and scheduled the works. They have a Spa, Spa/sauna, Sauna, Steamroom and a Fitness center. I was particularly intrigued by the Body wrap. Let me be honest: I don't think I've ever been so relaxed in my entire life. Seriously. The masseuse was a magician. My whole experience was phenomenal, I walked out feeling like a brand-new human.
Cleanliness and Safety: The New Normal (and it's a Good Thing!)
Okay, the whole post-COVID thing… Southholm is on it. Beyond the usual Hand sanitizer (of which there are plenty), Anti-viral cleaning products and a host of other measures. I felt safe. They have Daily disinfection in common areas, Rooms sanitized between stays, all that jazz. Honestly, it was reassuring! Staff trained in safety protocol, Hygiene certification, all of it. It's the new standard, and they're nailing it.
Amenities and Conveniences: They Thought of Everything (Almost)
So, there's a lot here. They’ve got Business facilities, Business meetings, Car park [free of charge], and Car park [on-site]. There's a Convenience store for forgotten essentials. Dry cleaning, Laundry service, and Ironing service are all available. Concierge – always helpful. Luggage storage – a godsend on check-out day. Daily housekeeping. It's all there. They even thought to have a doctor/nurse on call. Cashless payment service is used for everything.
Things to Do: Adventures Await!
Okay, this isn't just a hotel review, it's an experience. And that experience will vary depending on your priorities. Lake Tekapo itself is the star. Star gazing is huge there (which makes sense, given the pristine skies). Hiking? Absolutely. Then there are the Kids facilities and Babysitting service for families, if you're in that boat. They even have facilities for Outdoor venue for special events, a Shrine and for special events with Audio-visual equipment for special events, Wi-Fi for special events and can host Seminars.
Areas for Improvement (Because No Place is Perfect, Right?)
Okay, real talk. No place is perfect. One thing I’d love to see more of is more environmental friendliness.
Why You NEED to Book Southholm Lake Tekapo NOW! (My Offer)
Okay, here's the deal:
Escape the Ordinary: Ditch the boring vacations. Southholm Lake Tekapo is about more than just a hotel; it's an experience.
Embrace the Beauty: Wake up to THAT view. It’s soul-cleansing. Seriously.
Relax and Rejuvenate: Treat yourself to that spa day you deserve. Or better yet, two!
Unforgettable Memories: This isn’t just a trip; it’s a story you'll tell for years to come.
My Unofficial Offer (Because I Can't Technically Do That):
Book your stay at Southholm Lake Tekapo in the next [Insert a reasonable timeframe, like a month] and, when you get there, take a deep breath, wander around, and soak it all in. Ask the front desk to give you a [insert something small and fun, like a complimentary bottle of wine]. They might love me more if you mention this review. Tell them I sent you! (Okay, I know I can't guarantee that. But still. Go. Just go.) It's worth it. Trust me.
Book Now! You Won't Regret It!
Andi Mutiara Melaka: Your Exclusive Muslim-Friendly Beach Getaway in MalaysiaOkay, buckle up buttercup, because we're about to dive headfirst into a Southholm Lake Tekapo itinerary, and trust me, it's gonna be less "perfect Insta-worthy shots" and more "holy heck, did I just almost lose my passport to a rogue sheep?" Prepare for the glorious mess that is real travel!
The Lake Tekapo Whirlwind: A Disaster (Mostly) Avoided
Day 1: Arrival (and Instant Regret? Nah, Just Caffeine)
- 8:00 AM: Land at Christchurch Airport (CHC). Let the chaos begin! Finding my luggage felt like a scavenger hunt devised by Satan. Seriously, I saw a single suitcase doing the cha-cha slide on the carousel. Was that mine? No. Depressing.
- 8:30 AM: Grab a rental car. This is where things get…interesting. My driving skills are somewhere between a seasoned grandma and a teenage driver with a learner's permit. Here's hoping to avoid hitting any sheep! I swear, those things are everywhere.
- 9:30 AM: Coffee stop in Christchurch. Need. Caffeine. Felt like I was running on fumes from the flight. Found a cute little cafe full of locals, it was almost like going to the other side of the world and back to my own hometown, in a good way.
- 10:30 AM: The Drive to Lake Tekapo begins! The scenery? Stunning. Seriously, breath-taking. But the drive is loooooong. Highway 1 is… well, it's a road. And my internal monologue is already chanting, "Are we there yet? Are we there yet?"
- 1:30 PM: Tekapo Village - Check into our adorable (but slightly tiny) Airbnb. Panic sets in: Did I remember to pack enough socks? (Important question.) I did not. Ugh.
- 2:00 PM: Lunch with a view. Fish and chips, naturally. Because when you're in New Zealand, you do what the Kiwis do. Tried to balance the plate on my knee while simultaneously taking photos. Result: grease-stained pants. Worth it.
- 3:00 PM: Lake Tekapo Exploration! The Church of the Good Shepherd is… well, it's lovely, but the hordes of tourists are something else. Did I mention the sheep? They're really just there. They have feelings. I think.
- 4:00 PM: Attempt to hike the Mount John Observatory track. "Attempt" because the wind nearly blew me off the mountain AND it was a lot harder than I thought. Realizing that my fitness level peaked in 2008 is a harsh reality check. Sweaty. Tired. But the view from the top… Unreal. Totally worth almost getting yeeted off the cliff.
- 6:00 PM: Dinner at a nice restaurant. Managed to snag a table with a view of the lake. It’s the best thing ever. Ordered the lamb shank, because when in New Zealand, remember? And wine. Lots of wine. Why? Because I deserve it.
- 8:00 PM: Stargazing Tour (Attempt 1). Supposed to be epic. Weather forecast: clear skies. Reality: cloudy. Major bummer. But, the guide was funny, and it’s still something to do.
- 9:30 PM: Head back to the Airbnb, defeated but full of lamb. And wine. Sleep. I need to sleep.
Day 2: The Lake Tekapo Obsession (Maybe Too Obsessed)
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. Stiff. Sore. Regret my life choices, maybe.
- 8:30 AM: Breakfast at the Airbnb. Instant coffee because I'm a creature of habit. And broke. And don't want to go out again.
- 9:00 AM: Decide to go for a walk around the lake. The light is different, the water is still the same color. It has to be the most beautiful place in the world; I could cry just looking at the lake!
- 10:00 AM: Remember that I didn't get good photos of the church yesterday. Back to the Church of the Good Shepherd. Try take good photos of the church, the lupins, and the sheep. Fail.
- 11:00 AM: Obsessive photo shoot of anything blue or purple. Lake Tekapo is just so photogenic. It deserves all the attention!
- 12:00 PM: Lunch. Back to the fish and chips place. I need to try the lamb again!
- 1:00 PM: Decide to walk to a small beach. It’s a long walk, and I’m starting to blister…
- 2:00 PM: Go to the Lake Tekapo Hot Pools. Ahhhh, pure bliss. Soaking in the mineral-rich water, gazing at the turquoise lake… It's like a spa for my soul. I almost fell asleep. Almost.
- 4:00 PM: Repeat the stargazing tour (Attempt 2). Tonight, the sky is a canvas of a million stars. It’s the most breathtaking thing I've ever seen. The guide points out constellations, and I try to remember them. Fail. But still, speechless. I never thought I'd be so moved by a bunch of cosmic dust.
- 6:30 PM: Dinner. Same place, same lake view. Different wine. My happiness level is off the charts.
- 8:00 PM: More stargazing because I'm obsessed.
Day 3: Departure (and a Moment of Sadness)
- 8:00 AM: Wake up. Slightly less stiff. Sad it's time to leave.
- 8:30 AM: Last breakfast at the Airbnb. Gonna miss this place.
- 9:00 AM: One last walk around the lake. Must soak it all in. Must memorize the color of the water.
- 10:00 AM: Head back to Christchurch. The drive is long. The views are still incredible. I'm going to miss this place.
- 1:00 PM: Drop rental car.
- 3:00 PM: Depart from Christchurch Airport (CHC).
- 4:00 PM: Reflect on the trip. Was it perfect? Absolutely not. Was it amazing? Heck yes. Would I go back? In a heartbeat. Lake Tekapo, you've stolen a piece of my heart. And maybe a sock or two. Who knows where they went?
Final Thoughts: Traveling is full of surprises, both good and frustrating, beautiful and messy. I will never forget the moment when the sky was covered with stars!
Guangzhou's BEST Banana FUN Hotel? (Near Yantang Subway!)Southholm Lake Tekapo: FAQ - 'Cause You're Probably Confused (and I'm Here to Help!)
Okay, Wait... Southholm *WHERE* Now? And Why Should I Care?
Okay, so you've heard of Lake Tekapo, right? That postcard-perfect turquoise lake nestled under a blindingly beautiful sky? Well, Southholm is kinda… adjacent. Picture this: you're driving towards that famous Church of the Good Shepherd (gorgeous, by the way – more on that later), and instead of just parking and snapping pics, you keep going. You veer off to get closer to the water, maybe to the south-ish side, and BAM! You've stumbled into a whole new level of chill. It's quieter, less crowded (a GODSEND!), and honestly, even *more* stunning. It's like finding the secret back entrance to paradise.
Forget the crowds swarming around the church. Here, you get the peace and quiet to REALLY soak it all in. And the views? Forget the postcards – they don't do it justice. Especially at sunrise. Ugh, sunrise. I remember the first time, I woke up at like, 4:30 AM, freezing my butt off, convinced I'd made a terrible life choice. But then… the colors hit. The sky exploded with pink and orange, the mountains were silhouetted, and the lake… well, it looked like liquid sapphires. I actually teared up. Don't judge me. Nature gets to me.
Is it REALLY Less Crowded? Because I HATE Crowds. Like, HATE THEM.
Yes! YES! A thousand times YES! Look, the main Tekapo area is a tourist magnet. And for good reason! It's beautiful! But Southholm? It's a bit off the beaten path. Think fewer selfie sticks, more open space, and a general feeling of, "Wow, I can actually breathe and enjoy this."
I remember one time, I was trying to take a photo near the Church of the Good Shepherd, and I swear, I spent more time dodging selfie sticks than actually *seeing* the sight. It was borderline chaotic. But Southholm? You can actually find a spot to just *be*. It's blissful, I tell you. Pure, unadulterated blissful silence! Which is honestly a rare find these days.
Tell Me About These "Views," Specifically. Are They Worth the Trek?
Trek? Nah. It's not a mountain climbing expedition. It's just a bit of a drive from the main town, and then… you're there. And yes, the views are worth it. Beyond worth it! Think of it like this: Lake Tekapo is pretty. Southholm is Lake Tekapo on steroids. The lake itself seems to change colour depending on the clouds and the time of day. Sometimes it's turquoise, sometimes it's a deep, mysterious blue. And the mountains? They're right there, looming over you, majestic and imposing. Seriously, they're the type of mountains that make you feel incredibly, wonderfully insignificant.
I think the best view I *ever* saw? It was when I'd just finished hiking a trail, and at the end of it, there was this perfect panoramic view of the lake and the mountains. The sun was setting, casting this golden glow... and I just sat there, completely speechless for like 20 minutes. I forgot about everything, every worry, every stupid thing I'd done that day. All it was was just me, right there, breathing in the incredible beauty of the world. It was perfect.
Okay, I'm getting a little misty eyed again. Let's move on.
What's There to *DO* Besides Stare at Pretty Things (Which, Let's Be Honest, I'm Totally On Board With)?
Okay, so, yeah, staring is a valid activity. In fact, it's highly encouraged. But there's more! You can go hiking (some fantastic trails), stargazing (Tekapo is a Dark Sky Reserve, so the stars are RIDICULOUSLY bright), fishing (I'm not personally a fan, but people seem to enjoy it), kayaking on the lake (gorgeous!), and even just… chilling. Picnics are a big hit. Bring a blanket, some snacks, and a good book, and you're set. I once had the most peaceful afternoon reading on a little grassy knoll near the water. Just pure, unadulterated relaxation. And the only distraction I had was a particularly inquisitive sheep.
Oh, and there's also the occasional opportunity for wildlife spotting. I saw a wild rabbit hopping through the grass. It was adorable. Like, Disney movie level adorable.
Is There Anything I SHOULDN'T Do? Like, Any Practical Advice?
Definitely a few things. First: Pack layers. The weather in the mountains can change faster than your mood swings (trust me, I know). One minute it's sunny, the next it's windy and freezing. Be prepared for anything.
Second: Bring sunscreen. The sun is INTENSE. You will burn. I speak from experience. I once spent an entire day at Southholm without sunscreen and looked like a lobster for a week. Not a good look.
Third: Be respectful of the environment. Leave no trace. Pack out everything you pack in. This is a truly special place, and we need to keep it that way for future generations (and for selfish reasons, so I can keep going back!).
And finally: Don't be afraid to get lost. Okay, don't actually *get lost* lost. But wander around a bit. Explore. Southholm begs to be investigated. You'll discover something amazing. Every single time.
Okay, Okay, You've Convinced Me. But The Church of the Good Shepherd... Do I Still Need to See It?
Look, here’s the deal. Yes, you *should* see it. Take the obligatory photo. But the thing about the Church of the Good Shepherd is that the real magic of Tekapo is outside, beyond the church. Especially when I went! The day I visited the church, there was a massive tour bus parked RIGHT in front of it, blocking the view. I could barely see the church itself, let alone the lake. It was a disaster. The place was swarming with people, all jostling for the perfect shot. It completely ruined the vibe.
So, my advice? See the church. Get your pictures. But then IMMEDIATELY head to Southholm. You get the same gorgeous views, but with a fraction of the headache. And that, my friends, is a win-win.
Food! Where Do I Eat (Without Spending a Fortune)?
Right, food. Let's be honest, Tekapo (andHotels In Asia Search